Healthy, quick, delicious salad
June 9, 2016 § 1 Comment
I’m always on the look-out for meals I can put together quickly. Normally I like to run by a weekly meal plan, but lately I’ve had to improvise a lot. This salad was the result of a brainstorming session – you know, when you go to your kitchen and think the pantry and fridge look pretty bare? That’s when the best ideas emerge.
Sweet potato chickpea salad
~ yields 2 portions
To make this recipe, you’ll need:
- 1 big sweet potato
- half an avocado
- half a can of chickpeas
- greens – I used baby kale because I love it, but spinach and rocket work just as well
- random veggies – I used a scallion, red pepper, radishes. But feel free to use whatever veggies you have on hand. [Tomatoes may not work so well here]
- 1 heaping table spoon capres
- fresh goat cheese [you could always use feta if that’s what you prefer]
- chilli, salt, olive oil
- Wash and drain the chickpeas, then pat them dry with paper towels.
- Cube the sweet potato and place it on a parchment sheet together with the chickpeas. Bake in the oven until sweet potato is soft and chickpeas become crispy. No need for any kind of oil at this point.
- Slice your veggies in any way you want and place them together with the kale in a large bowl. Sprinkle the capres and toss with a bit of olive oil and salt.
- Once the chickpeas and sweet potato are cooked through, add them to veggie bowl. Toss gently. Sprinkle chilli and adjust the taste per your liking.
- Slice the avocado and cube the goat cheese. Add to salad.
- That’s it! Serve and enjoy!
I can’t begin to tell you how lovely this salad is! It’s packed full of fibre, protein, good carbs and an endless array of minerals. It’s ready in under twenty minutes and incredibly wholesome! It’s best eaten immediately but you could also store it in an airtight container in the fridge and enjoy it later.
If you try it, will you let me know? 🙂