Dreaming big and Weekly challenges
April 20, 2015 § Leave a comment
With the trees in full bloom, I am also coming out of a slump. A deadly combination of winter hibernation and spring asthenia got me lethargic and almost lifeless. This is not a winning situation when you work in consulting and you actually have… other life goals as well.
So here’s what I’m working towards these days:
- Cleaning up my eating – needless to say my food habits have been less than stellar in the stressful and depressing winter-spring months. I am now focusing on getting in a lot of veggies, fruit, salads, good protein and some fats, with the occasional treat.Eating regularly works for me. Not waiting until I’m starving is also a good strategy. Stopping when I’m full is the best. Moderate portions are a goal.
- I’m working to incorporate more sports in my life – walking, running, squash. I was sooooo looking forward to an early morning run today but with 6 hours of sleep last night that just did not happen. I am going to make sure it happens tomorrow though, as I am really craving a run around the lake in the early hours.
- Sleep. This one is huge for me. I can see what going to bed early does for me. 8 or 8.5 hours of sleep are probably the best medicine out there. When I hit the hay early enough and get a decent amount of hours of sleep, the next day I feel like I can conquer the world.
- A Magnesium supplement has done wonders for me. For now this is all I’m taking but I may be adding Coenzime Q10 and Iron.
- A more efficient, streamlined attitude to work. I hate being stuck in the office until very late. With so many changes and exciting new projects at work I could easily linger around far longer than I should. Instead, I am choosing to be very focused and efficient and stop working when the time is right. Managing my stress levels is going to be a big one. Limiting my travel will also be important.
- I plan to put in place: Project Inbox 0 and 5 Priorities a day.
- General outlook on life. Like I said in a previous blog post, I tend to be pretty tough on myself, so I would like to loosen up a little and instead play more, smile more and not take everything SO seriously.
- Try out new things. Over the last few years two of the best things I’ve attempted to do have been playing squash and skiing (getting better at both) and driving (currently sucking at it). I plan to keep it up with these initiatives and move forward in a more fluent and relaxed way. Reading, yoga and creative writing are also on my to-do list.
Here are my challenges for this week:
- Eat well every single day – make sure to incorporate a salad with most meals. Finish the day feeling comfortably satiated, but not full
- Do something physical every single day – outside, if possible. [I will aim to do this in the AM, as exercising in the evening keeps me from sleeping]
- Efficiency at work – work on reducing my bulky Inbox each day and have a 5 priorities list ready for the next day
- Sleep enough – be in bed around 22.30 and sleeping by 23.00
I will check in here next week to see how I did on these challenges. 🙂